Friday, October 25, 2013

Slow Cooker Mission-Style Chicken Burritos

Joel and I are both serious burrito fans. We buy coupon books just so that we can get deals on coupons. How does that even make sense. It got serious enough that I decided it was time to make our own. After searching the web and various crock pot recipe books, I decided to whip something up using elements from various sources. 

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 frozen skinless, boneless chicken breasts
  • 1 onion- chopped
  • 1 cup salsa- add a little more if you use the extra chunky stuff
  • 1/3 cup hot sauce- I like my food spicy, maybe pipe that down if you can't take the heat ;)
  • 2 cloves garlic- chopped
  • pepper to taste
*optional ingredient- Mrs. Dash southwest chopotle spice- I love Mrs. Dash so I use it, but it isn't neccesary*

DIRECTIONS:


  1. Combine all ingredients in slow cooker and stir coat the chicken and mix the ingredients. Cook for 3 hours on high heat without removing the lid.
  2. Remove the lid after three hours to stir the ingredients and ensure nothing is sticking to the edge. If you find the ingredients are looking dry you can add about an ounce of water to the pot. Turn heat down to low and continue to cook for 2 more hours without removing the lid.
  3. Using two forks shred the chicken. It will naturally fall apart and into perfect shredded morsels. Stir the chicken with all the other ingredients in the pot and put the lid back on.
  4. Allow chicken to sit on the "Stay warm" setting for 20 minutes before serving.

While the chicken is cooking, throw on some Spanish rice. I used this recipe which involves thoroughly rinsing the rice before browning it and finally mixing it with a tomato, onion, garlic and jalepeno sauce and baking it in the oven for 40 minutes. It turned out perfect- although pretty spicy.
Finally, stack it all into your burrito with other burrito ingredients such as salsa, cheese, guacamole, sour cream, pico de gallo, refried beans, black beans- whatever your heart desires!

I love this burrito so much, I didn't even take a picture of it wrapped up because I ate it too fast. The chicken always turns out super flavorful and juicy- and let's be honest, you can never go wrong with cheese and sour cream.

Enjoy! Let me know if you try it out!

XO_BITS

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...