Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Roasted Garlic and Butternut Squash Soup

I remember the first time I tried butternut squash soup. I was in highschool and it was the soup special of the day. I was on a huge soup kick at the time and a vegetarian so I figured I'd try it, I mean, it had butter in the name, how bad could it be? It was love at first bite, and it's been one of my favorite soups ever since. 
This soup turned out super delicious! The garlic added a nice harvest-y touch and the sour cream made it just tart enough to be refreshing. I definitely recommend you give it a go whether you just have a butternut squash laying around, or if you have the yearning to eat for the season!

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 large butternut squash
  • olive oil
  • 1 large onion
  • 2 tbsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1-2 cups vegetable broth

DIRECTIONS:


  1. Cut squash in half and scoop out the insides.
  2. Pull all the layers off the outside of a head of garlic and cut 1/2 cm off the top of the entire head.
  3. Drizzle oil over the entire squash and into the head of garlic.
  4. Bake at 425 F for 45 minutes to an hour, or until soft with pushed with a fork.
  5. While the squash is cooking, sautee one large onion.
  6. Scoop the squash out of its shell when it is cool enough to handle and into a blender or food processor. Add the sauteed onion and remove the shells from the garlic cloves and blend them all together until smooth. *if you like the texture of squash, feel free to leave a portion of the squash unblended.*
  7. Transfer the contents into a large soup pot and simmer on medium low, adding all of the spices.
  8. Stir sour cream into soup shortly before serving. *I usually add more sour cream to my individual bowl;)*
  9. Enjoy!

Let me know if you give it a try, or if you have any great suggestions!
Thanks for reading :)

XO_BITS


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...