Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Almost-Autumn Roasted Pototoes and Yams

Soo, I know it's not technically autumn yet. As a matter-of-fact I downright defend summer's last stand against all fall-faring naysayers! However, Joel loves yams. And yams are defs an autumn food. 


Which brings us to Almost-Autumn Roasted 'Tates. These bad boys are some of the best comfort food. But be warned! They will make your house smell like autumn, and you may find yourself going autumn-crazy just from the smell! Scarves! Boots! Pumpkin Spice Lattes! I swear I still love you summer... (I'd also like to take this time to apologize for the bad quality photos... my camera fell off the coffee table lens-first and is having a real hard time focusing. It's heartbreaking but I think it's just a lens issue.. which isn't soooo bad, so I'm using an iphone).
Okay so for this recipe, you'll need the following ingredients:
Disclaimer: I'm not a trained cook of any sort, I don't even have children. All the things I make on here I invent from my head unless otherwise mentioned. I am still learning TONS about cooking and if you have any tips or tricks about any of my recipes, please feel free to share, I'm always looking to learn something new.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 large yam 
  • 2 white potatoes or about 14 golden nuggets (that's what I used, they're just mini white potatoes)
  • 1 white onion
  • 1 full head of garlic (although if you love roasted garlic, then I would suggest using more, I used 2)
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup worcestershire sauce (pronounced http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylP_iQvOuaM -you're welcome ;) )
  • 1/2 tsp dried rosemary or 1 tsp fresh rosemary
  • 1/2 tsp dried sage or 1 tsp fresh sage
  • pinch of salt
  • pepper to taste
DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Peel the yams and onions, wash the potatoes and chop to about 1x1 inch cubes. Yams usually cook faster so you can cut those a bit larger if you're a stickler for consitency.
3. Mix all ingredients(except the garlic) together in a large bowl and transfer to a roasting pan or casserole dish. I used 2 pie pans because I have neither of the afore mentioned cooking vessles. ** If you want a really autumn-ly taste, add about 2 tbsp of brown sugar.. seriously delicious **
4. Chop the top of the head of garlic off just enouch so each clove has an opening at the top. Peel all of the excess layers off of the garlic and place in the middle of your veggies. Pour some olive oil over the garlic to get it nice and moist inside.
5. Roast in the oven for about an hour, or until the potatoes are soft and cooked.

I hope you love these! We like them with sour cream, but follow your heart.

I'm off to pinterest to be inspired by wool and boots and pumpkins! What gets you pumped for fall?

XO_BITS


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...