Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Life Works in Funny Ways

Last week as I was driving and listening to the radio, I thought to myself about how I haven't gone to any concerts in a while. As a young teenager this is all I seemed to do and would forgo pretty much any other offers to stand and watch my favorite musicians spill their souls out. I must have gone to at least 60 concerts between the ages of 14 and 17, some of which were multiple day-long music festivals where I would see upwards of 7 shows a day. I calmed myself down by realising that I always go see a show if it's one of my favs- I would never miss a Sufjan Stevens or Regina Spektor show, no 'maam.

I quickly got to thinking about how I had never seen Sigur Ros, an Icelandic band which is incomparable to any other. For one, they don't sing in English, or Icelandic really for that matter. They combine clever Icelandic wordplay with made-up syllables and words, using voice as another instrument along with flutes, trombones, violins, multiple drum kits, pianos, organs and electric guitar both the usual way and by violin bow and many others. This combination provides us with ethereal and emotional works of art that are almost inexplicably beautiful. 
Flash forward no more than three days and what do I see on my facebook newsfeed, an old friend of mine from highschool who I haven't talked to in over 3 years has this status, I kid-you-not: "Anyone want to see Sigur Rós with me on Monday? I have an extra ticket, let me know." The next day I was on my way to Deer Lake Park in Burnaby, heart thumping and ticket in hand.

They were absolutely amazing live, the layers of sound reverberated through the crowd with a sense of such peace and beauty. The park is also a protected habitat of Blue Herons so the entire time Sigur Ros was playing there were these massive birds flying gracefully over us, sometimes in packs of up to 10. It was one of the most incredible things I've ever been a part of and I will be forever thankful for seeing that message.

Here'a a clip I took from one of my favorite songs, Olsen Olsen. Check them out over at their website or on facebook

I think I'm going to make a deal with myself to go to more shows. Real entertainment is so much more moving and inspiring than a great pinboard or even a blockbuster film. Life works in funny ways, but I think I like it.

Anything weird or awesome happen to you this week?

XO_BITS

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...