Tuesday, March 4, 2014

DIY: Floral Letters

All this spring cleaning really got me focusing on the spaces in my home that are too filled with stuff, and also the spaces in my home that are lacking- my bedroom in particular. It's alright, it has a good window and we painted the walls a nice gray last year, but it is definitely still lacking character, it's lacking us!
I've really wanted to add some letters next to our bed. I was originally hooked on sting art and had these visions of awesome rainbow string art letters, but lately I've had a bad case of spring fever (in case you haven't noticed, hah!) and decided upon some floral letters, inspired by this picture. The flowers I used are actually almost a year old, if you look back at this post you can see them in their full glory, but I've never really been one to throw away a beautiful flower, even after it's long dead (some people call this hoarding..). So this is how I did it: 

SUPPLIES:
-Dried or fake flowers
-Cardboard (I used an old scrapbook hardcover I had laying around)
-Hot glue gun
-String
-Utility knife

DIRECTIONS:

1. Create your letters on cardboard and cut them out with a utility knife or scissors. If you are making more than one letter, ensure that they are the same size- use a ruler if you feel inclined. 

 2. Once all of your letters are cut out, use a hot glue gun to attach a hanger loop to the back of the letters. I used jute twine at 14cm long. If you have a lopsided letter (like my J) you may want to offset the hanger loop to make up for the unequal weight distribution.
3. When your loops are attached begin planning out where you want your flowers. It's a good idea to snip off the stems of the flower so that you can get the glue close to the base when you start glueing.
4. Start hot gluing your flowers to the letters, starting with the big flowers. Once you have all the big flowers in place, go back and fill in all the empty spaces.
And that's it! Such an easy and awesome way to bring some "us" into the bedroom without spending a penny. I really love how they turned out and I can't wait to show you how they look in my bedroom- although not yet, it still has lots of work to be done before I can show the whole internet.  
It's for Bitty and Joel... ya sickos ;)
Hope you liked this super easy and cheap tutorial for making floral letters. If you give it a shot let me know. Now I just have to figure out an excuse to do some string art, perhaps a welcome sign, or a giant heart, I've always loved giant hearts.

Thanks for reading!
XO_BITS

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...