Saturday, October 12, 2013

Bake Your Own Clay

So, the other day I got this idea to make a miniature graveyard to put in my plants. Growing up, my mom would always deck out the yard with a graveyard, smoke machines, creepy music, you name it! I am feeling very nostalgic this year, I have the Halloween bug hard.
Anyway, I decided clay would probably be the easiest way to fulfill my miniature graveyard dreams. I remembered we used to make Christmas ornaments out of some make-at-home stuff as a child and decided to check the ol' internet for some tips. I came across these recipes and got straight to work.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup salt
Mix all of the ingredients together with your hands and knead and mix until it reaches a smooth, clay-like consistency. You can keep the clay in a sealed bag or saran wrap in the fridge until you're ready to use it. (I'm not sure if it goes bad, the site doesn't mention it.. but I don't think it would.. flour doesn't go bad, right?)
Create to your heart's desire. When you are satisfied with your creations, bake on a baking sheet at 350 degrees Celsius until the edges are starting to look a little goldish (smaller pieces will cook faster so keep an eye on it to avoid overcooking).
I captured Joel helping my niece, Emma, from through the window on the patio.. so friggen cute <3 
After they come out of the oven, leave them to cool on a baking sheet. When they are cool, use as is, or feel free to paint your creations to add a little pizzazz. 
Such a fun and super easy way to spruce up the apartment for Halloween! There are honestly so many things you can do with this technique.. my mind is spinning with ideas. Let me know if you try it out, I'd love to see what you come up with!

Thanks for reading :)
XO_BITS

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...